Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive coverage of the topic but drafted to warm up learners to the topic. The advantages, disadvantages, features and usage of the technologies have not been included in this write up. Learners are requested to do reference to build more content.
Technology led communication
Technology supports and enhances the efforts of human being to attain the desired outcomes more effectively.
It can be segregated into:
- Assisting communication
- Assisting personal efficiency
- Assisting organizational processes
The discussion on advantages of technology is like stating the most obvious. It has benefitted the businesses directly, to reach out, do it in time and improve its offering.
Its usage has made organization’s offering more competitive, reduced operational cost in the long run, made the liabilities lesser and made the offices bear a sleek and trendy look.
The challenge is it to follow the future of it, adopt it seamlessly and keep up breasted with the updates and few features. Huge investment in procuring, installing, maintenance and training puts it in the business strategy category.
- Building expression
- Reaching remote and far
Communication technologies are wired or wireless. It needs a complete setup or it can be used from a remote location.
The computer technology and the Office software, creating accurate documents, preparing presentations, providing strong visual representation of thoughts and data, printing, photocopying helps in building expression.
The internet, telephone technology, wireless technology and the cellular phone technology helps in reaching remote and far.
The popular ones here are telephones, facsimile, intercoms, e-mails, wireless, cell phones etc.
The latest ones adopted by businesses are – text messaging, teleconferencing, videoconferencing, webinars (EMS – electronic meeting systems), text messaging, web telecasts, internet based telephony, podcasting, blogging etc.
Some of these need a real time (synchronous) connections among the two operating ends where as others need an off line (asynchronous) setup, two operating ends working remotely.
Each of this technology has to be used selectively based on the purpose, nature, speed, touch and feel of the person and cost.
Assisting Personal Efficiency
- Organisers, planners, electronic calendars, Personal information management tools helps in setting reminders, scheduling, planning and help in personal time management.
These can be synced to the smartphones or be available anywhere on web based PIM sites.
- The other internet and computer based tools are available to:
- Plan work and manage projects
- Gather and collate information
- Analyse and organise information
- Present and project information
Assisting Organizational Processes
- Machines, automations, ERP systems, computer based software supporting functional needs, e-commerce, process technologies helps in assisting Organizational processes.